Sunday 23 October 2016

FGM: ‘I can’t have orgasms’ Kemi Olunloyo tells it all

Kemi Olunloyo
Outspoken media personality, Kemi Olunloyo, has narrated in a tell-it-all manner, how she has had to live with the scars of enduring having her genitals brutally severed.

In an interview with International business times UK, Kemi recounted how she was subjected to female genital mutilation (FGM) in a secluded area behind the Oja Oba market in Ibadan, capital of Nigeria’s Oyo state. She said she was only five-years-old when her family took her and her sister to visit an old man, who made the two girls lay on his laps “and then cut part of our vagina and clitoral area off. I was cut with a sharp razor blade and no anesthetic.”

“There was no anaesthetic and a sharp razor blade was used. I remember my sister and I screaming afterwards. We went home bleeding in diapers and, for a week, it was like we were little girls with menstrual periods. My mom was bathing us and diapering us. Deep down, mom was not happy for some reason,” she said.

Madam Kemi, who said that her genitalia were only partially removed, lamented how the traumatic experience has cost her the urge to have s*x and the ability to enjoy it to the fullest.

“Calling it an operation is nothing. It was a cultural barbaric act used to decrease the female libido. It caused me post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for life.

“I don’t experience orgasm during sex and when I tried to promote the use of sex toys among Nigerian women, men started attacking me saying I was discouraging African women ‘from the real thing’.

“Sex is not important. I have no libido or urge to have sex and I’ve been celibate for 10 years. Millions of women in Nigeria go through this, but they cannot talk or be outspoken like me. It is shameful and a disgrace to them,” she continued.

“Many women say they fake orgasms and others have husbands who go out to prostitutes and girlfriends. FGM has destroyed marriages here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment